Friday, April 29, 2011

Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida (February 27, 1863 – August 10, 1923)

                                                                                                                                      
Promenade on the Beach
1907

For me, Sorolla y Bastida stands among the greatest Impressionists, holding himself ably even in the company of Monet. I can recall once walking tiredly through the Met, and finding myself shocked at one of Sorolla's paintings of a beach, especially shocked at never having heard of Sorolla before. And, unfortunately, I'm not the exception, as he's not the sort of name to slip off of the tongues of young artists today. Though I shouldn't make it seem as if I dug him out of the cellars of history, because Sorolla is present, but in a rather set-aside way, which I think him wholly undeserving of. What do you think of him?

Children on the Beach
1910

The Siesta
1912

Kissing the Relic
1893

The Queen's Bath, Valsain
1907

Resting Bacchante
1887

Self-Portrait
1911

2 comments:

  1. I love Sorolla!!! First knew about him two years ago while reading an article in a magazine for people learning Spanish :) So, thanks to this magazine =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elenita, glad to know I'm not the only one who loves Sorolla. And, I suppose, a thanks to the magazine, as well.

    ReplyDelete