Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gino Severini (April 7, 1883 – February 26, 1966)

                                                                                        
The Dance of the Pan Pan at the Monico
1911

Severini was one of the main figures in Futurism, both in terms of output and theory. Often the focus of his paintings was dancers, but there was not much formulation in their depiction, which has left us with a variety of wonderfully amusing depictions. And Severini worked in a number of styles, including in Pointillism, featured here. I can't seem to express my enthusiasm for Severini well enough, and I don't know how to remedy the fault. What can I say about him to do his art justice? Perhaps I should say that when I look at his works I most acutely feel the world of Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms; but is that enough?

Dancer
1913 

Dancer
1915-1916

Dancer
1915

Spring in Montmartre
1909

Blue Dancer
1912

Armored Train
1915

The Black Cat
1911

No comments:

Post a Comment